Friday 30 January 2015

Freshers: University is hard! Part 1

Hello my lovelies!

Before I dive into this, just thought I'd let you know that my brand new Facebook page was launched yesterday! Head on over and give it a like to be updated whenever I post something new and there'll even be some sneak peeks and behind the scenes kinda things for you all. 


Now I know I'm always super encouraging about giving uni a go and I've done all these advice posts for freshers but now it's time to get in to the real stuff. I'm talking about the hard hitting, life changing reality of university. This is probably going to span over two, maybe three posts but I'm going to start with a bit of a personal perspective. 

For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to go to university. I don't know if it's because none of my immediate family (parents & grandparents) went to uni or if it's because I've always loved to learn but either way I don't ever remember there being a moment I did not want to do a degree. When I was looking at what I wanted to do for my GCSEs, I looked at the courses on offer at universities and I decided I wanted to work my way up to a particular course. Sure, things have changed since then because things never go to plan, but at that moment I made a huge decision and set my path in life. 

I decided to move schools to do my A levels because I wasn't happy to continue working in the environment I had been - it's not that I didn't like anyone there, but the majority of people weren't my kind of scene and the teachers couldn't really handle their students so I wasn't getting the most out of my education. I opted for a private education and I was super lucky to have that chance and I became a happier, more confident person, but I was still heading down the same path. University was where I wanted to be. 


Now in my second year of university I feel I've started to find myself. I learnt new things to love about myself and discovered that I don't have to be what people expect of me. I can make my own decisions and I can do the things I want to do. Never did I dream that I'd start up a blog that would be read by people worldwide! That being said, I'm still set on the same career path of Education. The degree I'm doing isn't what I'd always wanted to do, in fact, I really had no idea what I wanted to do at undergraduate level, but I've discovered a passion for English Language that I never knew I had. I've also discovered that there's a lot more to Education than I thought and there is a way that I can bring together many of the things I enjoy in the future.

But University isn't an easy ride. First year is a breeze, sure, all you need to do is pass! I struggled with my time organisation and money management and I felt like giving up so many times but I knew I never would. There are still days when I want to just jump on a train and go home to my parents because things get on top of me... but that's when my friends jump in and remind me that I'm not alone. 

So many university students go through struggles, whether they're physical or emotional, and so many are scared to speak up about them! But we shouldn't be scared. Every university has people you can go and talk to, people who won't judge you and who will listen and try to help you. You may feel alone and lost in the vast ocean of adulthood but you never ever are. They say that university is where you find your friends for life and it's true, you do. I have met so many people who I know I'll be able to bump in to at any point in the future and chat like we'd never spent time apart and for that, I'm so thankful. 


If you're at university and you're struggling, just remember you're not alone. Chat to a friend or knock on a neighbour's door. Someone will sit and help you out with a cuppa and some biscuits (oh so British!) or even a pizza! If you can't find anyone because you feel you're too close to them then get in touch with me. I'm always happy to have a chat with anyone because I've probably been in your shoes at some point over this past year and a half.  

I would like to go in to more depth about the hardships of university but I think I'll leave that for a second post as there's been a whole lot to say in this one!

All of my contact details are here and I hope that you'll feel brave enough to open up.

Love you all! 

T
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment