Thursday 11 September 2014

Freshers: Finding Your Place

Hello my lovelies!

It's been a while since I've done a university related post and with a lot of you starting (or returning to) university in the next few weeks, I thought it's about time I did one. I'm now on the dawn of my second year at the University of Chester and I am wholly excited and also slightly terrified at this prospect. I mean, first year was a whole lot of fun but I will admit that I was incredibly lazy and if I'm going to do well this year I really need to up my game. Fortunately, I think that having worked over the summer and gotten in to a routine of sorts, I'll find it a lot easier to jump out of bed in the mornings with a positive attitude to the day. I'll definitely be making a weekly timetable of what I'll be doing and when as I expect I'll have a lot more work but I've also got to allow myself the time to relax and I know I can tend to become absorbed in either working or relaxing.

Anyway, I'm not here to tell you about that right now. Instead, I'm talking to those of you who feel they didn't quite find their place last year or who are starting their university adventure this year. It can be a difficult time in your first year of university, I know I certainly struggled with knowing who I was and who to be friends with. I had no idea how to maintain a healthy lifestyle in both the physical and mental sense and I did have a few little issues but now I'm confident and happy and I feel I know myself a whole lot more.


The one thing to remember about University is that it's a chance for you to discover yourself. You get to try new things, meet new people and turn your dreams in to a reality. The best way to start is go crazy and try out some of the societies available to you; most universities have a trial period for when you join a new society so you have so many options available to you! Try something you would never normally do - if you're heading to Chester there's so many things: Pole Fitness, Women's Rugby, Quidditch, American Football! Have a go, you never know what you'll love. 

Try not to lock yourself away and focus completely on your studies, university isn't just a place of learning, it's a place for forming new friendships and you can't make friends if you never see anybody. Spend time with the people in your halls/house/flat, go down to the SU and introduce yourself to some people, talk to people in your lectures and arrange to see them for coffee. Make that little effort to discover something outside of your subject. Don't be afraid to put yourself out there, who knows, you could meet the love of your life!


Remember that you don't have to limit yourself to the university, there's things to do in the community too. Find a local drama group or choir, volunteer for a charity, join in with community clean ups. Not only is it great on your CV but it'll give you a huge confidence boost as you're likely to meet such a wide variety of people who will have very different lives to you. Also, don't be scared to chat to people you meet on a night out on the town, you'll find that a lot of the people you meet are actually very interesting. That's another thing, give yourself a chance to relax each week, whether that's going on a night out or having a night in with your mates, everyone needs a break once in a while. 

If you're heading to Chester this year and are worried about making new friends, get in touch with me! I'd be more than happy to meet up with you and have a chat over a drink.


Don't forget to like, comment, share, subscribe, etc. and feel free to send me an email or message via the comment form at the bottom of the page. All of my social media links can be found here

Love you all!
T
xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment